Share your vision for AR apps for cars. Top finalists will receive cash prizes and join the US-based onsite Hackathon to create an AR app prototype with the True AR SDK by WayRay.
True AR Challenge & Hackathon is an online selection and onsite hackathon for developers and designers who are passionate about augmented reality and car innovations. WayRay invites you to take the challenge and share your vision for AR apps. The submissions that are visually innovative, technologically impressive, and engaging for users will be shortlisted for the hackathon where you will bring your idea to a working app prototype using our True AR SDK.
True AR SDK is a toolkit that helps build AR apps that run on holographic AR displays. The SDK includes a holographic AR display simulator, runs on Ubuntu 16.04, and supports C++ and GLSL with binding to other programming languages.
Top shortlisted projects will receive cash prizes of $2,000–$5,000 and invitations to the True AR hackathon. The hackathon winners will be granted $10,000–$40,000. Date and location of the hackathon will be announced later.
*Please note that WayRay will not cover any travel and accommodation costs for the non-US based participants shortlisted for the hackathon weekend.
Online submission ends on Wednesday, May 30th, 2018, 23:45 UTC. Shortlisted candidates for the hackathon will be announced by June 30th, 2018.
The challenge is open to developers and designers — individuals and teams — despite their gender, age (18+), location, and occupation.
$155,000 in prizes
Challenge Finalist: Winner (5)
Winning shortlisted projects will receive cash prizes of $5,000 per team or individual participant as well as invitations to the True AR Hackathon.
Challenge Finalist: First Runner-up (10)
First runners-up of the challenge will receive cash prizes of $3,000 per team or individual participant as well as invitations to the True AR Hackathon.
Challenge Finalist: Second Runner-up (15)
Second runners-up of the challenge will receive cash prizes of $2,000 per team or individual participant as well as invitations to the True AR Hackathon.
True AR Hackathon: Winner
The hackathon winning team will be granted $40,000.
True AR Hackathon: First Runner-up
The second-place winning team will be granted $20,000.
True AR Hackathon: Second Runner-up
The third-place winning team will be granted $10,000.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Participants: individuals (over 18 years old), teams, organizations
By accepting the rules of True AR Challenge and Hackathon, you acknowledge your availability to attend the US-based on-site hackathon later this year.
During the Hackathon weekend, finalists will be coding beta AR apps with True AR SDK, after that the jury will determine three winners. The Hackathon will take place later this summer, final date and location will be announced in the coming weeks.
- Prizes are awarded for ideas. For teams, the prize amount will be shared amongst the team members.
- An invite to join us for the first True AR Hackathon does not mean WayRay will cover any travel or lodging expenses related to your stay during the Hackathon weekend.
- Download the Rules and regulations, PowerPoint template, images, and videos
- Fill in the application form in the PowerPoint template
- Use the downloaded images to visualize your AR app interface and add your pictures to the PowerPoint template
- Optional: use the videos with different road scenarios to visualize an animated version of your AR app, upload your videos to any file hosting service and put the link into the template
- Convert the filled PowerPoint template into a PDF file and submit it in the Submission section of your project.
When editing the images and videos provided, please make sure that you augment the real world and place graphic objects outside the car, not on the surface of the windshield.
In the case of any missing data, the submission will not be considered.
We are expecting your submission by May 30th, 2018, 23:45 UTC
How to enter
- Log in or Sign up for DevPost.com
- Click Enter a Submission
- Add a new project and fill out the required fields
- Download the materials from the Instruction, complete the application template with your data, and convert it to a PDF.
- Upload your PDF file and click 'Submit to True AR Challenge & Hackathon.'
Dr. Wolfgang Bernhart
Senior Partner Automotive at Roland Berger GmbH
Dr. Andrea Ferrario
Scientific Director at ETH Zürich
Head-Up Displays at Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Prof. Pearl Pu
Prof. of Information & Communication Sciences at EPFL
Prof. Dr. Anja Schulze
Prof. of Technology & Innovation Management at University of Zürich
Prof. Dr. Florian v. Wangenheim
Prof. of Technology Marketing at ETH Zürich
How original is the AR app?
Does the AR app serve a user need?
Did the team put thought into the user experience? Is the AR UI pleasant to look at?